5 hours of recorded slide showsOver 3 hours of recommended exercises Lifetime access to the course!A complete set of course notes in Adobe format, which includes pictures of all slides, checklists, examples and templates
These are the same materials that students get in our live courses
Streaming slide show presentations of each module in Flash shockwave movies which allows you to advance or review the presentation to see specific slides
This slide show is narrated by Randy Rice, just like he would in a physical class, except without all of his bad jokes
Exercises in each module, with sample solutions with which to compare your solutions
There are links that allow you to try your test cases on an sample application
Templates and examples in electronic format
Streaming video clips of supplemental topics, such as taking a tour of a test lab, how to perform regression testing, etc
Streaming video demonstration of screen video of tests being performed
Access to the instructor via e-mail, chat sessions, and message boards
Access to other students to share experiences via chat rooms and message boards
Certificate of completion upon completion of the course and submission of your evaluation
Module 1 - COTS Applications Defined (100 Mins.)
This module lays a foundation of understanding about COTS applications and some of the key terminology associated with COTS applications. A case study is presented that will serve as the basis for discussion and exercises throughout the course.
* What is COTS?
* Variations of COTS - COTS-based, GOTS, MOTS
* What is the Purpose of COTS?
* Why are the Challenges of COTS Applications?
* What are the Challenges of Testing COTS Applications?
* What are the Risks of Implementing COTS Applications?
* Key Terminology
* An Introduction to the COTS Lifecycle
* Roles and Responsibilities for COTS
o Senior Management
o In-house Developers
o Test Team Leadership
o QA Analysts and Leaders
* Case Study in COTS Testing
* Additional Resources
Module 2 - A COTS Testing Framework (12 mins.)
This module presents the COTS testing framework that will be the driving process for this course.
* A COTS Testing Framework
* The COTS Testing Framework Explained
* How the COTS Testing Framework Fits Into the Overall COTS Lifecycle
* The Evolutionary Nature of the COTS Lifecycle and How it Impacts Testing
Module 3 - Developing a COTS Testing Strategy (27 Mins.)
This module presents how to develop a test strategy for COTS applications and how to use the strategy to start planning very early in a project what you will need to test it.
* Objectives of the Strategy
* COTS Risks and How They Drive the Test Strategy
* Anticipating New Risks that are Identified During the Project
* Identifying the Critical Success Factors for COTS Applications
* COTS Integration Strategies and How They Impact the Testing Strategy
* Determining the Uniqueness of Your Project
* How to Create a COTS Test Strategy
o The Elements
o The Process
o An Example Standard
Module 4 - Planning the Test of a COTS application (83 Mins.)
This module presents a complete planning process for testing COTS applications.
* Process Overview
* A Mapping of Test Planning Activities to the COTS Lifecycle
* Required Input and Entry Criteria
* What Needs to Be Verified
* What Needs to be Validated
* The COTS Test Planning Process Step-by-step
* Review a Sample COTS Test Plan
* Detailed COTS Test Planning
* Detailed Test Planning Techniques and Deliverables
o Test Cases
o Test Scenarios
o Test Scripts
o Test Descriptions
o A Detailed Test Planning Framework
* Adding Traceability of Tests to:
o Customer needs and desires
o Acceptance criteria
o Test objectives
* Types of Test Matrices
* Detailed Test Planning by Example
* Testing Integration "Glue"
Module 5 - Performing the Test of a COTS Application (27 Mins.)
This module presents how to prepare and perform the testing of COTS applications, including integration and regression testing. As part of this module, we will perform the tests designed in the previous module on a COTS application.
* Step 1 - Build the Test Environment
o Test Data
o Verify Correct Replication Required to Test Customizations and Vendor
o Verify Integration Feasibility
* Step 2 - Orient and Train Testers
* Step 3 - Perform Tests
o Verify environment
o Perform tests
o Take backups
* Step 4 - Evaluate Test Results
* Step 5 - Record Defects
* Step 6 - Perform Regression Testing
* Ongoing Test Environment Management
Module 6 - Analyzing and Reporting the Results of COTS testing (28 Mins.)
In this module, you will learn how to interpret the results of testing COTS applications and how to use that information to implement the product and to improve the COTS acquisition, customization, integration, testing, and implementation processes.
* Categorizing Defects
* Writing Defect Reports
* Writing Status Reports
* Writing Final Test Reports
* Making Sense of the Information to Improve Processes
o Requirements Definition
Module 7 - Human Factors in COTS Testing (19 Mins.)
Human factors are very important in testing COTS applications and this module describes some of the most critical issues to be prepared to deal with.
* Vendor Interaction
* Getting Information for Test Planning
* Getting Support for Testing
* Getting Cooperation for Integration Testing
* Getting Customer and User Input and Assistance in Testing