Aug 18 - 19, 2020 9 a.m. - 5:00 p.m EDT
This is a live virtual course taught by Randy Rice, a facilitator of user acceptance testing (UAT) for 30 years. This is one of the few courses available that teaches a non-technical and easily learned process for testing computer systems from a business process perspective. This course deals with testing issues from both the process and human perspectives. You will learn the terminology, the unique issues, and the process for performing user acceptance testing. As a result of attending this seminar, you should have a good working knowledge of what it takes to plan and conduct a very effective user acceptance test in your own organization. During the course, there will be exercises to reinforce the topics. In advance of the course, each student will receive a physical workbook with all slide images, text commentary, examples and templates.
Structured User Acceptance Testing will help you become more comfortable and confident in designing and performing a test that models how an organization will use a particular application to conduct business. You will emerge from this two-day session knowing how to develop test scenarios, test scripts and test cases. You will also have a working knowledge of how to coordinate all of the aspects of a user acceptance test into a smoothly flowing test.
Whether you are planning to test vendor-developed or in-house developed applications, the process and techniques covered in this course can enable you to identify the most effective tests and maintain a high level of test coverage.
User acceptance testing does not need to be overwhelming and intimidating. Learn the issues and processes for effectively testing business processes by attending this hands-on course.
Return on Investment
* Learn how to find costly and embarrassing problems before your customers find them.
* Learn a proven process for designing a test that models your business, not what's on paper.
* Understand the key issues in dealing with the people issues of testing.
* Learn how to design tests that adequately cover your business processes and the people and things you process through your business processes.
* Get the most out of your existing investment in testing and how to leverage that investment for user acceptance testing.
* Upon completion of this course, you will be able to:
o Plan an acceptance test for any size computer system
o Identify test cases that will simulate real-life conditions
o Determine if a system meets acceptance criteria
o Track the progress of an acceptance test
o Deal with the many issues and attitudes encountered during a typical acceptance test.
o Write informative test reports
* Advance your career by broadening your testing expertise.
Who Will Benefit
* End-users and customers of software
* QA/Test Managers
* Test analysts
* Software vendors
The program requires no IT knowledge or experience. Prior testing or QA knowledge is not a pre-requisite.
Content and Structure
Module UATA - Introduction to User Acceptance Testing
* What is Structured User Acceptance Testing?
* The Expectation Gap
* Methods of User Acceptance Testing
* When User Acceptance Testing Occurs
* The Challenges
* Management's Role in Testing
* Where Defects Originate
* Where Testing Resources are Used
* The Relative Cost of Fixing Defects
* The User’s Role in Testing
Module UATB - User Acceptance Test Planning Process
* User Acceptance Testing Process Overview
* Structured User Acceptance Testing Relationships
* The Structured User Acceptance Testing Process
o Phase 1 - Plan Tests
o Phase 2 - Execute Tests
o Phase 3 - Evaluate Tests
* Phase 1 - User Acceptance Test Planning
o Step 1 - Define test strategy
o Step 2 - Set test objectives
o Step 3 - Define acceptance criteria
o Step 4 - Develop test scenarios
o Step 5 - Develop test scripts
o Step 6 - Define business cases
o Step 7 - Build test matrix
o Step 8 - Estimate time and resources
o Step 9 - Finalize the test plan
* What to Look for in Team Members
* Set Acceptance Test Objectives
* How to Determine Test Objectives
* The Relationship Between Process and Data
* Business Cases
* Functional Test Cases
* The Test/Cycle Matrix
* Test/Function Matrix
Module UATC - User Acceptance Test Execution Process
* Step 1 - Select tools
* Step 2 - Train team members
* Step 3 - Execute test plan
* Step 4 - Track progress
* Step 5 - Perform regression testing
* Step 6 - Document test results
Module STBI - Test Evaluation and Reporting
* Prerequisites for Test Evaluation
* Test Evaluation and Reporting Process
* Test Reporting Attributes
* Types of Test Reporting
o Defect reports
o Status reports
o Final report
* System Test Evaluation - Defect Reporting
* Defect tracking tools
* The role of the defect administrator
* The Defect Life Cycle
* Defect Tracking - Things You Need to Know
* Sample Defect Categories
* Sample Defect Priorities
* Status Reporting
* Final Reporting
* Test Summary Report
* How Can This Data be Used?
Module TTLH - People Issues in Testing
* The Role of Testing in a Project
* Working with Developers
* Working with Users
* Keeping Management Informed of Progress
* Managing Expectations
* What Can a Tester Reasonably Assess or Recommend?
* Checklists and Templates
* Course notebook with slides, worksheets, checklists, complete examples and supporting text
* You will have the basic information needed to plan and execute an effective user-oriented test.